Thursday, September 1, 2011

One year Post Opp Purna!


On August 17th Purna had her one year appt for her check up. She had her cousins with her so she was happy to be there. Which was very different than the last time she was in that office, there was some kicking and screaming when the stitches cam out. I figure as soon as all the doctors walked she would start to have flash backs and head for the door. However this is not what happen. She was just fine with all the eyes on her. The doctors were very very please at how well she looks one year later. As a matter of fact their exact words were " WOW she looks amazing, I can believe how well she healed up and the twist in her face is correcting so good." So they were pleased to say the least. They did a little bit of man handling on her head to feel how much the plates had disolved away. Which is quite a bit. They feel like there are about half gone. They do not stick up any more and unless you feel for them you can not tell they are there. She also had an eye exam to make sure there was not pressure on the back of her eyes and she checked out just fine with that as well. We will return next year around the same time and every year tell she is 6. Next year she will have to get an MRI to make sure that nothing has fused back together. There is a small amount of children that have to have the surgery again but not super common. So hopefully Purna is not one of them.

As Purna gets older she is going to realized something happen to her head I would imagine. And why she has to keep going back to that hospital every year. Even though Im pretty sure (I hope) she will not remember what happen to her as a 10 month old baby she will have an interpretation of what happen. I show her photos of her when she was in the hospital and tell her she had an owwchie on her head. That is about the extend a two year old brain can handle now. This is one of the main reason I wrote this blog for her. I wanted her to have a very true account of her time with craniosynostosis and what she when threw in just the first ten months of her life. I think the things we experience as a child lay a foundation for things to come so maybe it will enlighten her is some positive way in her future. As much as I would like to forget all about this experience, the true is I need to remember when I was the strongest and the weakest in my life and for me it fell on the same day. I need to remember when my husband stepped in when I was week and could not, when he held Purna all night long so I could sleep and not worry about her. How he crawled in to her three by five crib to comfort her for many hours even thought his legs fell asleep. Joe was and will always my hero for the kindness and compassion he shows me and the overwhelming love he has for his little girl. But most of all I need to remember my little girl makes me be the strongest person and the weakest person all in one little two foot body.

We Love you little Purna Pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment